Some interesting early history can be found in the Hampshire county archives.

and particularly under East Tytherley on British History Online

As built by F.G.Dalgety circa 1868

Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety at the front door.


In its heyday c.1880


Postcard late 19th Century

Postcard c.1920

During the First World War the house was used for convalescing soldiers.

(by coincidence: one of the soldiers sent to convalesce there was one of F.G.Dalgety's nephews Charles Frederick Dalgety from New Zealand who whilst in the 3rd Royal Fusiliers had been injured in one of the gas attacks.)


During WW2 there were many military camps all around the estate and the small local railway station of Dunbridge became the focal point for operation Overlord with 15 miles of sidings and 134 sheds. See photos on


In the 1930s John A.F.Dalgety finding the house too large and expensive to run, removed the conservatory, the upper floor and the entire north wing.

at about 1990

Back to Front